Here’s the summary and questions for Chapters 33-39.
(I will add chapter 40 to week 5)
Esau and Jacob meet. Jacob begs Esau to accept his gifts – he does. Esau offers to go on his journey with him. Jacob offers Esau go first and he will travel behind. Jacob travels with children and flock and come to land that he purchases and builds an altar.
- How many men accompanied Esau to meet Jacob?
- Verse 4 speaks of how Esau and Jacob meet, what is the significance? How does this differ from the expectation that Jacob had upon meeting his brother?
- Why did Jacob try to give so much to his brother?
- What was Esaus response?
- What was the reason Jacob wanted Esau to continue ahead of him?
- Where did he agree to meet him?
- What did Esau give to Jacob to help him?
- What city did Esau go to?
- What city did Jacob travel to? How much money did he buy land for?
- What was the name of the alter? What does it mean?
Dinah is out in the land – this is where she is defiled. Schechem prince of the city wanted to Marry Dinah. In response the sons of Jacob make one request in order for Schechem to take Dinah as his wife. The brothers take it upon themselves to get revenge. Jacob upset
- Who is Dinah?
- Who is Schechem? What did he do to Dinah (sin)?
- What did Shechem want to do with Dinah after?
- Do you believe that Hamor knew what had happened to Dinah?
- How did the sons of Jacob feel?
- What did Hamor propose to Jacob in regards to allowing his son to wife Dinah?
- What did Schechem say to Jacob and Dinah’s brothers? V.11 What does this say about him?
- What did the sons of Jacob do?
- What was Schechem and Hamors response?
- On the third day what did Dinah’s brother do?
- What did the brothers take from the city?
- What was Jacobs response?
God tells Jacob to go to Bethel and make an altar. Jacob and family leave to Bethel, he builds an altar and God changes his name. God makes a covenant with Jacob. Jacob builds another altar. Rachel bare’s her last son and dies.
This chapter lists Jacobs 12 Sons. Isaac dies.
- In response to Jacobs talk with God, what did he tell his family to do?
- What did his family do?
- Why didn’t the people of the town pursue after Jacob and his family?
- What does the name Bethel mean again?
- What does the name “El Bethel” mean?
- Who dies there?
- What did they name that place? It’s meaning?
- What did God rename Jacob? It’s meaning?
- What did God say to Jacob?
- What did he do in response?
- Who changed Jacob’s name, and what name was it changed to?
- What was the name of Rachel’s last son? What did Jacob name him? What were their meanings
- Where did Rachel dies?
- What did Jacob do in her remembrance?
- Is her tomb and her remains here today?
- This chapter list the 12 sons of Jacob? What is the significance of his twelve sons?
- List the names of his sons
- At what age did Isaac die?
The generations of Esau. Esau moves away from his brother being that his land could not bear all of their cattle. A continuation of the lineage of Esau
Joseph (Jacob’s/Israel’s son) was in the field feeding the flock with his brothers. They hated Joseph because they knew he was his father’s favorite. Joseph has a dream wherefore he tells his brothers, which as a result doesn’t help the fact that they hate him. Israel tells his son to go to the field to check on his brothers and the animals. Joseph finds his brothers, and they conspire to harm him.
- How old was Joseph?
- Why did Israel love Joseph more than the other children?
- What did Israel do for his son?
- How did the brother’s of Joseph treat him?
- Define obeisance.
- Describe Joseph’s dream.
- What was the brothers response?
- Describe Joseph’s second dream.
- What was the response of his father?
- Where was the field that Israel told Joseph to travel to in order to check on brothers/flock?
- Where did he find his brothers?
- What did the brothers conspire to do to him?
- Who decided not to kill him?
- What does this say about his brothers?
- What did they end up doing to Joseph?
- What happened to Joseph as a result of his brother’s treatment? How much was Joseph sold for?
- What did the brothers do to conceal what they had done?
- What does rent mean?
- What was Jacob’s response? What was the significance of sackcloth? How long did he mourn?
- Who was Jacob sold to? In what place?
Judah leaves his brothers and marries a Canaanite. Judah has several sons. God slews some and Tamar deceives Judah. Tamar conceives.
- What was the name of Judah’s wife?
- What was the name of their 1st son? 2nd? 3rd? Where was the third child born?
- What was the name of the wife Judah picked for his son?
- Why did God kill Er?
- What did Judah tell Onan to do?
- How did Onan disobey his father?
- What was Onan’s consequence?
- What does Judah end up telling Tamar to do?
- What was Tamar’s deception?
- Who did Judah think that she was? And what did he do?
- How long after Judah went in to the harlot did he find out who she was?
- Who was responsible for this situation?
- What punishment did Judah make for her?
- Did he end up following through with the punishment?
- What were the names of Tamar’s sons?
Joseph in Egypt, at the hands of Potiphar stays with him. Joseph was well favored. Joseph is tempted.
- Who was with Joseph?
- What was the name of Josephs master?
- Why was the Lord with Joseph’s master?
- Why was Joseph well favored?
- How was Joseph tempted?
- What was Joseph’s response?
- Why would it have been wrong if he went through with the temptation?
- Who would Joseph have sinned against?
- How did the women lie, what did she say happened?
- What was the response of Potiphar?
- How did Joseph have favor with the Lord? Everyone else?
I became a little confused while reading Genesis this week, therefore I ended up looking up a family tree to help me keep track with who is who.
This one really helped me.
Do you have any questions, comments, or concerns? If so please list them below, or feel free to email us @: firstname.lastname@example.org